What Is a Bunion?
It's a deformity of the big toe, whereby the big toe points in the same direction as the other toes. This may cause the bone (first metatarsal to stick outwards causing a bump.
- Shoes that do not fit properly
- Connective tissue laxity
- Toe trauma
Symptoms can be relieved by:
- Bunion pads
- Wearing better fitting footwear
- Splinting the big toe
- Surgery is a last resort
- A bulging bump on the outside of the base of your big toe
- Swelling, redness or soreness around your big toe joint
- Thickening of the skin at the base of your big toe
- Corns or calluses — when the first and second toes overlap
- Restricted movement of the big toe